Feb 21, 2015

Your Social Problem –the wrong place will never be the right time.



 To succeed, you have to be n The Right Place at the Right Time.

How many times have you heard that in your life? You just have to be at the right place at the right time.

Is it luck?

No way, baby. It’s strategy. And hustle. And relentlessness. And even common sense.

The other day, I met with a client who is smart, capable, and usually implacable. I During the meeting he said, “My insurance agent invited me to like their agency on Facebook! Can you believe it? That’s why I hate Facebook. Who would like insurance on Facebook?”

He was pretty animated. He’s usually so even-keeled. But this insurance/facebook issue really had him riled up.

He said, “Tell me that you have some good news for me on my rates. Don’t tell me to like an insurance agency on facebook for crying out loud.”

At this point, I probably should have just nodded in agreement. I couldn’t do it, though. I said, “That’s the problem with social media.”

“Yes, it makes no sense. Insurance! On facebook!”

It’s not the channel. It’s not social media. It’s how badly people use it. Misuse it. Abuse it.

Would you tell a eulogy at a comedy club? That’s what the insurance agency tried to do on facebook. Tell a joke a tthe comedy club. Talk insurance on LinkedIn.

Do your audience a favor. Don’t insult them by not respecting the platform. You have to know where you are. And, you really have to know where they are. They chose to be on facebook. Not at the dentist. Knowing where you’re standing is as important as what you stand for.

This is magnified by the freedom that social media channels have given everyone.  You have to get this right.

You just might have the right message. You’ll never know if you don’t tell it right in the same place. Give yourself a chance. Every time.

No comments: