Feb 24, 2015

If you want people to move, you first have to move people.



Everyone wants customer interaction. Benefits and features won’t cut. You won’t get traction – just inaction.

People buy with their hearts and justify with their minds. It’s so simple that it’s easy to forget this First and Foremost Commandment.

Today, I got a firsthand reminder of how true this is. Recently, I wrote a column in a local newspaper (yes print, the Living Dead) in appreciation of a woman who has served our little burg so well for so long.

I did not list her accomplishments and work statistics (aka: benefits and features). Instead, I told her story and how she helped people. Today, I received this email with her response:

Jack –

Just wanted to take a quick minute to say “thank you” – thank you for that incredible article you put in the News Graphic a while ago.    I have been so moved by the huge response, especially in the past few weeks, by residents congratulating me on my retirement and sharing with me their thoughts.    Every day, I am getting phone calls, emails and visits in City Hall – so many say “I read that article and am here to thank you”.   Some residents I have never met in person – just over the phone or through emails – they are coming in person to say good bye to me.   A few have brought me to tears when they shared their thoughts.

Working for the government can be a thankless job –so often people say “well what do I pay taxes for” – and they need someone to complain to … and so often that was me.   To  have the kind of response I have had upon retirement makes these past 30 years so worth it.

For some reason the words “thank you” don’t fully describe what you have done for me … but know I am sending you big hugs for your kind words in that article!

Wishing you a happy life, filled with love and good health!
Judy

Move people. They will move mountains for you. 

No comments: